Making that crucial decision about making an addition to your family comes with a lot of excitement. Sometimes however, doubt about your ability to conceive may become a source of stress, especially if you have experienced failure before. Your emotional state when trying to conceive is as important as the act of conception.
Is Your Emotional State Preventing Conception?
Research states that your emotional state may have a physical impact on your body.
The most common symptom of such an eventuality can be seen through an irregular menstrual cycle or no ovulation at all. This is because a stressful emotional state will suppress the flow of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormones which are essential for ovulation.
Additional research also proves that women who suffer from depression are twice as likely to have issues with infertility.
In your emotional state, you might develop habits that can make conception harder. Such include:
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Stress eating
- Lack of interest in sex
- Overindulging in alcohol
- Too much caffeine
- Not exercising at all or not pushing yourself to exercise harder
Tips on Reducing Stress when Trying to Conceive
- Following the motions– Any disappointment about the lack of conception in couples who have been trying to conceive needs to be dealt with. The best way to do this is to accept or grieve about it so that you can let go of any stress or pain.
- Get educated– Educating yourself on the reasons why you are not conceiving could reduce feelings of not knowing what is happening. This will give you the confidence of approaching your situation objectively.
- Maintain balance in your life– Live your life the same way you did before you started trying to conceive don’t give up any activities e.g. work or volunteering that you used to engage in prior.
- Know when to take a break– A break is recommended, especially if you have been trying unsuccessfully to conceive over a period of time.
Activities that Could Improve Your Emotional State
If there’s something or things that you have wanted to do, then now may be the time to do them. These can spark excitement and interest, thereby boosting happier feelings in you. Some of the activities you could consider are such as:
- You could pick up modelling with clay
- Creating collages or mosaics
- Getting more spiritual i.e. visiting a church
- Read fictional and motivational novels
- Learn to cook
Engaging in these activities is a sure way to reduce any feelings of stress that may be slowing down your conception efforts.
If there is a lack of conception for a considerable period of time the help of a fertility specialist could offer more insights into any other reasons that are making conception a challenge.
Please note that development differs from one child to another.
Content intended for educational purposes only, and not a substitute for medical advice from your doctor.
Be careful when using any products mentioned on this website. We hold no regulations for such products or their providers.
Last reviewed March 2019
Sources: houstonfertilityspecialists, dailymail, verywellfamily, romper